Rich in heritage, with a mystique created by its gate-protected street entrances, Shadyside is an exclusive collection of residences – an artful marriage of luxury, magnificent architecture and resplendent landscapes.
An historic district along Main Street north of Rice University campus and west of Hermann Park, it is comprised of nearly 37 acres purchased by oilman J. S. Cullinan in 1916. With the aid of celebrated St. Louis landscape architect and planner George E. Kessler, who oversaw the creation of Hermann Park, Cullinan subdivided and developed Shadyside with a specific plan in mind.
Shadyside was to be an elite neighborhood where the use of landscaping and terraced lawns was a pivotal design element. Cullinan ordered brick and cast stone gate piers, designed by St. Louis architect, James P. Jamieson, built to mark the entrance to his new neighborhood. (In 1983, the Shadyside property owners’ association bought their two streets from the City of Houston and installed gates between the gate piers, ensuring even greater privacy.)
Shadyside soon became the preserve of Houston’s oil elite. With just two interior streets, Remington Lane and Longfellow Lane (named for the Cullinan family’s favorite American artist and writer), and a limited number of lots, original home sites were offered to just a privileged few – family, friends, and business associates – who built classic mansions representing some of the most beautiful examples of residential design of the period, from celebrated architects like Harrie T. Lindeberg, John Staub, Birdsall Briscoe, William Ward Watkin, Albert Finn and Stayton Nunn. Most of these original homes still stand today.
Shadyside’s celebrated history, its air of mystery, and its proximity to nearby cultural institutions, museums, parks, planetarium, and the zoo, not to mention the highly respected university and Houston’s renowned medical center, continue to make it one of Houston’s most desirable and special enclaves.
Sign in with